Antiviruses are often known as an organization’s security shield. Initially, antiviruses were programmed to detect computer viruses. As the computer attacks started to become sophisticated, antiviruses also step up their game to fight against various computer attacks. As attackers are finding new and clever ways to infect the organization’s endpoints, antivirus shields are not leveling up with current attacking speed. For example, you might have noticed irrespective of having the best antivirus software big organizations are failing to cope up with malware attacks. So, it shows that antivirus is more like a “cure after an attack” solution, that might not work all the time.
Do you still think having an Antivirus is enough to fight against any cyber-attacks? Well, it is a debatable topic as there are several conflicting opinions about antivirus being a strong security shield.
Is Having an Antivirus Enough for Your Cyber Security Infrastructure?
1. Antivirus is not smart enough: Gone are those days where a victim must click on a link to exploit an attack. For example, nowadays, an attack called “drive-by downloads” confuses a genuine website to pull malicious content from a bad website. So, when any user visits such infected websites they get unknowingly victimized. This suggests that Antivirus still does not have proper coping mechanisms for such scenarios.
2. Antivirus Effective Rate: Symantec’s Senior Vice President in 2014 stated that antiviruses are less than 50 % effective against any cyber-attacks. The possible reason for this remark may be due to antivirus being slow at scanning and by that time malware would have infected the majority of the network.
3. Antivirus Detection Rate: Approximately 69% of IT Organizations has observed the antivirus detection rate is gradually decreasing every year. Sometimes antiviruses take a week to scan 90% of the network. Given the time it is very easy for the malware to spread like wildfire in your network and can allow attackers to establish a backdoor or may open the doors for attackers for several malicious activities.
4. Antivirus is Insufficient: Most of the antiviruses are unable to detect a malware threat. For-example, a signature-based antivirus software follows a definition-based algorithm to detect threats. If the definition matches the threat, then you will get a threat detection message else the threat will go undetected. Hence if the antiviruses are not able to come up with an updated signature, most of the threats remain undetected.
5. Antivirus and Social Engineering: As the cyber attacking strategies are changing day by day. Previously used cyber attacking hacks are not in use. Currently, attackers are using several social engineering methods to convince users to fall prey to a cyber-attack. Antiviruses software is not versatile to detect any social engineering attacking procedures.
A complete endpoint security solution is what enterprises need
I am sure the above points will force you to rethink your cybersecurity infrastructure. Antivirus was good at its time. However, you must think beyond antiviruses as a sole cybersecurity shield. As the cyber-attacks are changing at a rapid scale it is very important to keep up with the trends. You are encouraged to switch to a complete endpoint security solution tool that will give you more clarity about any existing and potential threats. The tool should detect all the threats in and out, and provide you with an efficient remediation process. The purpose of an endpoint security solution tool is to save your time and resources and while working relentlessly to keep your network secured. By this, you do not have to manually research on any upcoming threats and remedies, which would be a never-ending process.
SecPod SanerNow a reliable solution
SecPod SanerNow is designed to do more than what antivirus software can achieve. SanerNow platform has some of the amazing features like Endpoint Management, Vulnerability Management, Patch Management, Compliance Management, Endpoint threat detection, and Response, Asset Management etc., all under one roof. It is basically built with “Prevention is better than cure” philosophy. SanerNow is quick and always on the go to check your asset health, remediate any possible threats, and also keeps your system compliant. It is reliable, accurate, and has excellent real-time scanning features that do not intervene with your daily routines.
Get a Free Trial of Secpod SanerNow to know a world beyond Antivirus.